Bank Account Search: 7 Must-Knows Before You Search 
7 Things You Should Know Before You Search for Hidden Assets
Read our guide below or start your search now:
This Guide provides everything you need to know when attempting to find bank accounts and hidden assets. All of our searches are GLB compliant and no bank is ever pretexted.
We've provided an FAQ list below on 7 questions you should know before requesting a bank account search.
- 1. Who Should Search For Hidden Bank And/Or Brokerage Accounts? Anyone contemplating a divorce, attempting to collect a judgment, contesting a will or requesting a child support modification should consider searching for hidden assets. Why Search For Hidden Assets Continued...
- 2. Is It Legal To Search For Bank Accounts and Hidden Assets? In short, it's perfectly legal to search for hidden bank accounts, provided you have a fiduciary interest and legitimate concern. What is a fiduciary interest...
- 3. What Is Discoverable With A Bank/Brokerage Account Search And What Is Not? While there are many intricacies involved, generally speaking, you can discover the name and address of the financial institution, account title, current balance and amount/date of the last deposit. More details...
- 4. What can I expect from a bank/brokerage account search? After your order is placed, you can expect to hear from us. The interview will allow us to get further details and answer any questions or concerns you may have. See details of expectations...
- 5. How Much Will A Search For Hidden Bank Accounts Cost? There are several combinations to choose from. You may want to limit your search to a specific state or search nationwide for both bank and brokerage accounts. Search costs start at $249 More details...
- 6. What Are The Bank Account Search Guarantees? Yes, there are occasions when no bank accounts are found. This normally occurs when your subject has one or more judgments against them and maintaining an account would subject them to seizure. More information regarding guarantees...
- 7. But Why Should I Trust Docusearch With My Bank Account Search? You have a choice on who performs your hidden asset search. Here's why you should choose Docusearch...
Select from the options below to view complete search descriptions, prices and order information.
1. Why Should You Search For Bank Accounts And Hidden Assets?
As we mentioned, divorce, judgment collection, child support enforcement to name a few.
Infidelity Isn't Limited to the Bedroom
One in five Americans is hiding money from a spouse, according to a survey conducted by Creditcards.com. That means a whopping 30 million Americans are secreting a hidden account.
So, what's needed to search for hidden bank accounts?
In the case of an individual, we need the subject's name, address and Social Security Number. When searching a business, we need the business name, address and employer identification number (EIN)
2. Is it legal to search bank accounts and hidden assets?
It’s perfectly legal provided you have a fiduciary interest.
Divorce, Child Support, Judgment Collection
If your purpose for a bank account search is for unlawful reasons then of course this would be a criminal act. For instance, it would be illegal to conduct a bank account search to determine the credit worthiness of someone in order to make a loan. Likewise, you cannot request a search for curiosity purposes.
What is a fiduciary interest?
Generally speaking, having a fiduciary interest is someone that is legally entitled to the money or property. As an example, in a divorce action, a spouse is legally entitled to be knowledgeable of all marital assets. If collecting on a judgment, the judgment holder is legally entitled to the money in order to satisfy the court-awarded judgment.
Consult With An Attorney
We are not attorneys. Therefore you should always consult with a competent attorney for advice regarding the legality of any financial investigation. Remember, all of our hidden asset searches are completely GLB compliant and no financial institution is ever pre-texted or surreptitiously contacted by us.
3. What will a bank account search reveal?
A hidden asset search normally returns the name and address of the financial institution, account title (if different than the subject), account type, current balance and amount of the last deposit, when provided. We can also discover the location of safe deposit boxes, though the contents will be unknown.
Can all accounts be found?
Unfortunately not. Sometimes there's an opt-out agreement on file. This is where the account-holder specifically requests in writing that information regarding the account not be disclosed. When this occurs, we may only know that an account exists at the institution, but nothing further. To garner further information, your attorney will need to file an information subpoena to the institution.
What can't be found?
We can only find accounts associated with your subject's Social Security Number, or in the case of a business; the EIN. Whether they be located at banks (online or brick & mortar), credit unions, or brokerage firms, most deposit accounts can be found. We cannot locate any accounts associated with an insurance product, such as life insurance or annuity. Also, 401k's that are held with an employer cannot be found because they are associated with the employer until converted to an IRA.
4. Expectations Of A Bank Account Search
Expect to hear from us. We want as much information as you can furnish.
Plan ahead, as locating bank and brokerage accounts take time to research, on average 2-3 weeks. In certain circumstances, we can expedite the investigation, however this will increase the cost.
The Final Report
When our research is complete, we will notify you by email so that you may review and/or print the results. Remember that our report is a snapshot in time of accounts at a given date and time. Account balances can change daily and often do. However, with the information that is provided, your attorney can subpoena the institution for updated balances and further account details.
5. What are the costs for a bank account search?
The costs to find bank accounts and hidden assets depends on several factors. Do you want to search statewide or nationwide? Do you want to search for only bank accounts or do want also want to search for brokerage accounts? The answer to these question will determine the base price for the search and what you will pay when you place your order.
In addition to the base price, we also charge $50 for each account found, to maximum of 10 accounts. We only charge for accounts that have a balance of over $100; although we will report all accounts, regardless of balance. These account fees are charged after your order but before we return your results.
To further reduce costs, you may exclude known banks or brokerages, though you may not exclude specific accounts within a bank. Further details are provided on each search description and under the FAQ tab.
6. Bank Account Search Guarantees
There are times when no accounts can be found. This can occur when your subject has liens and/or judgments filed against them and maintaining a balance in their account would cause seizure of the account. They also may have funds in an account not associated with the SSN, such as a business account associated with an EIN. In the unlikely event we cannot find any accounts you will only be charged a research fee ranging from $50 to $125, depending on the search ordered. The balance is refunded back to your credit card. There are no future commitment or obligation unless to decide to order another search.
7. Why Should I Trust Docusearch?
Reputation, and 35 years of experience.
Docusearch has been assisting attorneys and judgment collectors find hidden bank and brokerage accounts for 35 years. Our tools and experience are unprecedented in the investigative and legal industry. We suggest that you ask your attorney about us. If they are successful, then they have likely requested our services and will gladly provide a recommendation . In fact, we are the favorite among other smaller private investigative firms.
A Reputation That Is Unparalleled
Don't trust your financial future to an unproven investigator or anonymous website, just to save a few bucks. They will leave you disappointed. Our track record has shown that have the proven experience to find all hidden bank & brokerage accounts, anywhere in the USA.