Best Background Checks: An Experts Guide For 2020
What You Need To Know Before Ordering a Background Check in 2020
Read our guide below or start your search now:
This Guide to background checks provides everything you need to know to assist you in deciding who should perform your background check. All our searches are performed by real Private Investigators and the subject is never contacted.
We've provided an FAQ list below on 6 answers you should know before ordering a background check on a prospective employee, tenant, individual or yourself.
- 1. Are There Different Types Of Background Checks? Though there are common attributes for all, background checks are generally geared toward a specific application or purpose, such as Employee Background Checks, Tenant Screening, Self Background Check and Comprehensive Background Check. More regarding types of background checks...
- 2. Are There Free Background Checks? You can find dozens of sites that advertise free background checks. However, the truth is they are all scams. The search part may be free, however your results are hiding behind a pay wall that requires the buyer to purchase a subscription to their service before they show you anything. More on free background checks...
- 3. Can/Should I Do A Self Background Check? People often request a self background check to see what information is provided about them and check the accuracy of the provided information. Results can include and address history, AKA's, age & date of birth, phone numbers, property records, financial information, relatives, criminal records and much more. More on self background checks...
- 4. What Information Can I Get From A Background Check? Results received depends on the application or type requested. All will provide an address history, criminal records check and sex offender search, while an Employee Background Check should also include an identity and Social Security Number validation and financial solvency check. More on background check results...
- 5. Does It Really Matter Who I Order A Background Check From? Virtually all background check companies utilize databases as the source of their search. How often those databases are updated is another question. So is the automation of the search. More details...
- 6. What Should I Pay For A Background Check? The cost to perform a background search depends on the type of background check requested, what information is searched and the level of competency of the firm performing the search. At Docusearch, all background checks are searched by hand, by licensed private investigators. More information regarding cost...
Select from the box below to view a complete search description and place an order.
1. What Are The Different Types Of Background Checks?
Docusearch offers four types of background checks: Employee Background Check, Tenant Screening, Comprehensive Background Check and Self Background Check.
Employee Background Check
This option is perfect for employers and business owners verifying that the person you’re about to hire is who they say they are. This check includes identity verification (social security number), address history, criminal convictions, bankruptcies, death records, and phone listings; everything necessary to evaluate if a candidates history is appropriate for the job position.
Tenant Background Screening
Used mainly by landlords, this search helps you avoid bad tenants and deadbeat renters who will give you nothing but problems. You’ll have access to their entire adult address history, criminal records, bankruptcy filings and previous evictions.
Self Background Check
Want to see what others will be able to find out about you? This check shows you exactly what others, such as potential employers, will be able to uncover about your life. That gives you a unique advantage to right any wrongs and prepare yourself for any hard questions.
Comprehensive Background Check
This is a combination of several proprietary database searches to give an overall view of the subject’s character and financial status. The main reason you might need this search is to uncover potential warning signs which might warrant further investigation.
2. Can I Get A Free Background Check?
Though you will find many websites advertising free services, there is no such thing as a free background check.
This is the worst of all the scams. Sure the searching part is free, however if you want to see the results, you will have to pay. Worse yet, you'll have to pay a continuing monthly subscription. Here's how it works....you enter known information about the subject (name, state, etc). Their database will return a list of similar matches of which to choose. After selection, you'll see some fancy animations about all the records they are searching. (It's the same regardless of the name selected). They will then explain that after searching billions of records, your search is complete. All you have to do is select your payment, which is based on the length of membership.
So, you figure you've gone this far, what could it hurt. (You could always cancel your membership, right?) You enter your credit card data and sign up for a membership. Then you see the search results. Likely, most of the results don't even pertain to the actual subject of the search, rather records for similar names. Even if some information regarding your subject is included; it will be dated. Think about it. To receive Instant Results, the information already has to be included and uploaded on their server. Unfortunately, research show that these databases are rarely updated because of the time and expense involved. Sometimes for years!
Docusearch Is Different
We're not a data aggregator. We are licensed private investigators. As such, we have access to proprietary data that is updated daily. And each is hand-searched, guaranteeing that the records found actually pertain to your subject, and with the latest information available anywhere. Of course, this is not instant. However, we normally return completed results within one hour, if ordered during regular business hours.
3. Can I Request A Self Background Check?
Yes, you can! We've conducted thousands of self background checks for people that what to know the scope of information that is available about them.
Perhaps you want to know if a bankruptcy, lien or judgment occurring many years ago is still being reported. You may also discover past criminal records, including traffic violations. This can be useful especially when a new job offer is contingent on an employer-ordered background check.
4. What Information Can I Find From A Background Check?
Unlike competitors who use a single (outdated) source, here at Docusearch each background check component is derived from the source origin.
All background checks include an address history, (sourced from the major credit bureaus), national criminal convictions, (sourced from the National Criminal Repository) and bankruptcies, (sourced from the Federal Bankruptcy Districts)
In addition to the above Employee Background Checks also include a Social Security Number validation and identity verification.
And the Tenant Screening will also search for previous evictions and other landlord actions as well as recorded liens and judgments.
The Comprehensive Background Check and Self Background Check are data intensive and will also search for associated email addresses, reported aliases, subject age & date of birth, possible relatives, possible phone numbers, real property owned and registered vehicles (for available states).
5. Does It Matter What Firm Conducts The Background Check?
Never Trust Instant Result Background Checks.
As we explained, the company you choose to perform your background check matters greatly. There are hundreds of "online" background check companies and you should be wary of who you use. Never, ever trust a company the offers "instant" results. For a result to be instant, all of the databases sourced for the search are already on their server, which means they are using old data; sometimes several years old. At Docusearch, our licensed private investigators search each request by hand. And each component has a different source which is updated daily.
6. What Do Background Checks Cost?
This is one of the instances where you get what you pay for.
Docusearch charges a one-time fee paid at the time you place your order. There are no further costs, unless you place another order. Remember, each Docusearch background check is hand-searched by a licensed private investigator and proprietary sources only available to law enforcement. While result are not instant, we are quick. Most often, results are returned within an hour, if ordered during regular business hours. If ordered outside business hours, your order will be processed first thing the following morning.
The Employee Background Check costs $59.00
Why Should I Trust Docusearch?
Reputation, and 35 years of experience.
Docusearch has been assisting attorneys, judgment collectors and business owners perform background checks for 35 years. Our tools and experience are unprecedented in the investigative and legal industry.